The Special Education ministry site partners with the elementary school in La Capri. In the education system in Costa Rica there are numerous children who need a little extra assistance in school, but do not qualify for the special education programs for a variety of reasons. These children often slip through the cracks as they pass from grade to grade in the regular classroom, often not learning much. Since they are in the regular classroom the teachers are not able to give them the attention they need. The special education site works with these students one-on-one or in small groups to help them succeed in school often focusing on literacy, math, and life skills. Outreach participants will assist in working with these children providing individualized attention and being a tangible expression of God’s love for them.
Dress Code For Special Education Site::
Good walking shoes or sandals
Capris okay, please no Shorts.
Clothes should be presentable/appropriate for a educational setting.
Clothing should NOT have holes in them.
Light jacket or sweater for the rain
NO athletic wear please
- School supplies: washable markers, colored pencils, scissors, pencil sharpeners, rulers, washable paints, paint brushes, white glue, glue sticks
- Manipulatives (educational games to improve dexterity, including Play-Doh)
- Table games (ages 5-12)
- Educational “emotion cards”
- Contact Paper
- Instrumental Music
- Toy Musical Instruments
- Children’s books (Spanish)
- Dress-up clothes for children (costumes, hats, biblical characters, etc)